“The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.”
— HENRY BESTON
“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world”.
― ANNE FRANK
The Fund for Horses advocates for horses because that is our specialist knowledge. We love and respect all animals.
Imagine that no animals were used for any purpose, not for their meat, not for their excretions, not for their skins.
For horses, this would mean:-
• no more slaughter for their meat;
• no more farms stocked with pregnant mares milked for their estrogen rich urine to make hormone replacement drugs, the byproduct foals cast off, many killed, slaughtered;
• no pony skins used to decorate car and home interiors, or adorning high end athletic shoes or celebrity handbags;
• no breeders clamoring for more slaughterhouses to use as dumping grounds for the horses they overproduce and fail to sell, or racehorses who no longer run fast enough;
• no cattle lobby fighting for the removal of our wild horses and burros from public lands so federally subsidized ranchers can graze there.
These are just a few examples, and mighty big ones, that concern only equines.
Now imagine every time you sit down to a meal you can help bring this and everything like it to an end, not just for horses, but for all animals.
Eliminating the demand for animal products is the most effective way to eliminate animal exploitation, suffering and death in a way no amount of welfarism, regulation, oversight or legislation will ever achieve.
• Mercy for Animals Vegan Starter Kit
• Vegetarian Times Starter Kit
• Vegan Outreach Guide
• 10 Simple Tips for the New Vegan
• Gentle World
• 8 Best Vegan Blogs: Delicious Vegan Recipes
• Vegan Blogs
• Meatless Monday
• Tuesday’s Horse: Vegan Recipes
Do you sometimes get tired of contacting legislators, government officials, law enforcement folks etc?
Sending emails? Making phone calls? Signing what seems like endless petitions?
Clicking here, clicking there?
These are all necessary activities of a devoted advocate. But . . . !
There is something you do every day that gives you the opportunity to do more for horses, for all animals, than just about anything else — and that’s eating a plant-based diet. It is 100% effective and virtually immediate. Think about it.
Thank you for stopping by and considering these ideas.
Vivian Grant Farrell
Founding President, The Fund for Horses and Int’l Fund for Horses
Featured Image: Carne Asada, from Hold The Meat.